Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Visibly Invisible

This song was shared with me by a dear brother-in-Christ quite some time ago, and I happened to review the song again today. It spoke to me at the time when I was first introduced to the song and it still speaks to me time and time again. The message is simple, are we portraying God justly in the eyes of the lost? God created us in His image, and in His image, we are to be like Him.

I've always wondered, do people see God in me, in the way I speak, in the way I carry myself, in the way I react or don't react to circumstances and situations thrown at me, in my friendships and relationships with friends and family? I struggle but I know not to struggle for His grace is sufficient for me. It is also sufficient for you.

God is love. Unconditional love. And, I guess, in order for people to see God in us, we must also learn to love, unconditionally.


For Who He Really Is - Steven Curtis Chapman

"Too many hypocrites," I heard her say,
"I even saw it in the headlines today;
How can I follow God when His own people turn away?"
"Nobody's perfect but I just want to see
Somebody living what they say they believe;
If they've got all this world needs like they say,
I wonder why won't they give some away."

Can she see God for who He really is
In what she sees in you and me?
Can she see God for who He really is,
For who He really is, is all she really needs to see.

He slips into church and he puts up his guard;
They look so happy but his life's been so hard.
He keeps his distance so they won't see the scars;
It's just religion that's all dressed up in white,
And "God is love as long as you're living right."
But does he know that Jesus also has scars,
And His love can reach Him no matter how far.

Can he see God for who He really is
In what he sees in you and me?
Can he see God for who He really is,
For who He really is, is all he really needs to see.

The skeptics are watching to see who will fall,
While those disillusioned search for the Truth in it all;
Maybe today we'll cross their paths unaware,
And they'll stop and look at us. What will be there?

Will they see God for who He really is
In what they see in you and me?
Will they see God for who He really is,
For who He really is, is all they really need to see.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Beautiful song, Jess! I had never heard it before, even though I really like Steven Curtis Chapman's songs and thought I'd heard most of them. It's a really great reminder that our lives have an impact on how people perceive God. At the beginning of one of dc Talk's songs, "What If I Stumble," they start the song by saying, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, and walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyl. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." I hope we can be the kind of Christians who live our lives in a way to offer truth, life, and love.