Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Being In Love

This topic is harder than I thought. No, I'm not going romantic on anyone, neither am I confessing any love to any one person. (I'm not quite sure if I'm qualified to do so now, after stumbling upon articles that have made me re-think the whole scenario - in a good way, of course!) It's just a lingering thought in my head for the past few weeks.

How can we honestly say we love someone, be it family love, brotherly love, sisterly love, or once in a lifetime love? What exactly does it mean to love? What is love? I'm reminded of this verse in 1 Cor. 13:4-5, which says, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs." Safe to say, I think I've failed in many aspects of the love that is mentioned in that verse.

Let me let you in on a secret (oh boy, am I going to regret this or what?!), I've got a green-eyed monster hiding in my closet. Yup, the worse kind! Its name is envy a.k.a jealousy. It's not a pretty sight, let's just put it that way. But I thank God that His grace is sufficient for me time and time again.

Which brings me back to a thought that came to me just yesterday; love. I can't begin to grasp how deep God's love is for us, but I know one thing for sure, God's love is so wonderful and so great, lest we forget John 3:16. I found this quote that says: "Love sacrifices, love considers another more important, love rejoices in the well being and safety of another, love begets honesty, integrity, and character. Love unites people together, brings out forgiveness, and even anoints the hearts of God's people to contemplate on holiness, purity, forgiveness, humility, patience, and more."

I've realised that God loves us. But He doesn't just love us, He will still love us whether or not we love Him in return. That's how profound His love is. To be able to love the people around you without expecting any love in return. Of course, we would want our love to be reciprocated, but God will still love us regardless of whether or not we love Him back. How awesome is that?!

It is of this same love that we are required to love the people around us, friends and enemies. It is only through this unconditional love of God that we are able to comprehend (a bit) on how we are supposed to love one another. Can I love without all the unnecessary baggages like envy, pride, selfishness and with more of the qualities of patience, kindness and forgiveness? I'll let you know.

Remember, we don't have to be perfect, for perfection is beyond our reach, but we can always sharpen the tools that are blunt, therefore, we can always let God work in us and through us in order to love as best as we could.

No comments: